Who do I call to report a water or sewer emergency?
Please call City Hall at 405-547-2445 if you have a water or sewer emergency. Normal business hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., but we have a cell phone that is monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Outside of regular business hours, call 405-547-2445 and press the # sign to be connected to that cell phone.

Show All Answers

1. How do I start Water, Sewer and Trash services with the City of Perkins?
2. When is my City utility bill due?
3. What if I can’t pay my bill in full?
4. If my water gets shutoff can I pay a partial payment and have it reconnected?
5. Who do I call to report a water or sewer emergency?
6. How do I start gas or electric services?
7. What do I do if I have a leak and need an emergency shut-off after hours?
8. What do I do if I am having unusual waste water problems throughout my house?
9. What items will the trash company pick up?
10. What do I do if they missed my trash?
11. How do I get an additional polycart (trash can)?
12. What if my polycart is broken or damaged?
13. What do I do if I occasionally have too much garbage for my polycart?
14. What holidays affect trash pick-up?