What if I can’t pay my bill in full?
Each month, delinquent notices are mailed following the due date. If you are unable to pay the full balance by 5:00 pm on the day before cut-off day, which occurs monthly on the 20th, please come to City Hall to fill out an extension request.

Extension requests should be submitted prior to cut-off day.

Please contact us if you need further information: (405) 547-2445

Show All Answers

1. How do I start Water, Sewer and Trash services with the City of Perkins?
2. When is my City utility bill due?
3. What if I can’t pay my bill in full?
4. If my water gets shutoff can I pay a partial payment and have it reconnected?
5. Who do I call to report a water or sewer emergency?
6. How do I start gas or electric services?
7. What do I do if I have a leak and need an emergency shut-off after hours?
8. What do I do if I am having unusual waste water problems throughout my house?
9. What items will the trash company pick up?
10. What do I do if they missed my trash?
11. How do I get an additional polycart (trash can)?
12. What if my polycart is broken or damaged?
13. What do I do if I occasionally have too much garbage for my polycart?
14. What holidays affect trash pick-up?